Sunday, March 8, 2009

CLAMS ON THE HALF SHELL & ROLLERSKATES - THE 80s

As a kid in the late 70's and early 80's we had some real shit to listen to. On the R&B front you had some summer anthems, that dealt with the "get away theme". I didn't understand as a 9 or 10 year old what this fascination with getting away was. What were these cats and chicks tryin' to get away from?

In retrospect, as a grown man I can appreciate what Chic was talking about when they welcomed the "Good Times". "Clams on the half shell and roller skates"...man the 70s & 80s were so special to me, that when I hear some of the great music from that era I can almost smell the incense burning in the record stores back then.

......In fact who remembers the fruity smells from the urban mom & pops record stores back in the days.(Pete Rock does).... And they always had weed paraphenalia to sell. EZ Wider rolling papers (where my old school heads?), bongs you name it. The 80s was a care free era.....

So back to the music.....now that I feel the perils of being an adult, I feel what T.S. Monk was sayin on Bon Vie. I see why when people said "Thank God It's Friday" Ma would agree whole heartidly. Yep, I can finally appreciate what Johnny Kemp meant when he "Just Got Paid" and the Ojays when they were "Livin' For The Weekend".

No fake thugs , no auto tune & no glamorization of guns and violence. Just that good shit!! Enjoy some less obscure joints than Chics "Good Times" below....... Same message on these joints - just didn't blow up quite as big. I can smell the summer air when I listen to these joints.....BRING THE MUSIC BACK......




1 comment:

  1. Yeah I feel ya on this music. "Bon Bon Vie" was a great jam but make sure you check out "Candidate For Love" on this same LP. It was the second single released off the album. Didn't do as well as "BBV" on the charts but it's still a nice jam. Starts off slow but picks up in less than a minute. A perfect cut to breeze down the highway to in your ride. Also check out TS Monk's 1982 LP with the smooth jam "More To Love".

    ReplyDelete